Thursday, January 21, 2010

Calendar Cover Up

While iced in yesterday, I finally decided on an idea to help cover this thing up.
Isn't it just lovely? It is in the hallway that leads to the bathroom and bedroom. In the past, I had a big calendar there that I would write on. However, there were numerous mornings where it was very inconvenient to move it when I would have to flip the breaker due to the great wiring job in my apartment.

This year, I decided to go a little smaller. Something that would be easy to move, but still look stylish. And this is what I ended up with.
Much better, don't you think? Here's a closer view of it.

The calendar was a gift from Rachael and Crystal who put this together for Gift-A-Palooza {Day 18} at JessicaSprague.com. I did alter the calendar to fit my needs....I didn't add any pictures. I do have 1 niece and 3 nephews, but how do you pick who you will put on for that month? In addition, I was also able to make the calendar part a little bigger, but still fit the space I was working with.

I then took a piece of thin cardboard I found somewhere, and covered it with scrapbook paper. I took some scallop scissors to the bottom of the product, but think I will do the other sides as well.

I don't remember where I got the clips that are holding the calendar up. I believe it is either a Stampin' Up set or something I got off Scrapbook Steals awhile back. These clips are great! They hold all 12 pages just fine. And it will be nice when I switch to the next month. I can easily remove the past month to show the current month. And if I feel like keeping the past month in the pile, I will just move it too the back of the stack.

There is a magnet holding the calendar to the door of the fuse box. It is blue, with a bunch of writing on it. So I changed that as well. Just traced the shape on to some textured white cardstock and cut it out. I added some brown with white polka dots ribbon to it, topped off with the year.

As you might have noticed, there really is no room to write anything on this calendar. I am okay with that. I carry around 2 calendars with me daily, so I don't really need to have another calendar with all my activities. I think 2 is more than enough. When I did have the bigger hall calendar, I was always trying to keep it up to date, and it just didn't work.

The finished product isn't exactly what I was wanting. I messed up and punched holes in the calendar as well as the cardboard piece. But I made do for now. I have already printed off some new calendars, and will be getting them up soon.

Simple and easy, but it sure looks much better than what was there!

Be sure to check out JessicaSprague.com for some great projects and ideas.

No comments: