Thursday, January 7, 2010

Ribbon & Bead Necklace

While on one of my numerous kid wrangling adventures, I fell in love with one little girl's necklace. Picture this....black shiny beads and ribbon. Love it! Funny thing was, it was her play necklace. For dress up. Lucky her!

What do I do? I decid that I need to make myself one. I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up my supplies. They were either half price or I used a 40% off coupon. I don't remember which was which. But here are the supplies to start.

With the model necklace, the ribbon was strung through the beads. But because these beads were smaller, the ribbon would not fit through. So I decided to use thread and 'sew' a necklace. After having to remake the necklace due to the little thread breaking while watching other kiddos, I would strongly encourage you to get some nylon thread. It's in the jewelry making aisle as well. It is much thick and should hold up much more nicely.

Here's my finished product. I tied the ribbon in the back in to a bow that can be adjusted to be longer or shorter. Hey, it makes it easier to accessorize with different outfits!

For Christmas, I made Gina a necklace very similar to this. Her beads are different, but I think I liked hers more.

I hope to make myself a brown one like this as well, once I can find some beads I like.

There are many different variations that could be done to this necklace. So have fun with different beads and types of ribbon. I used sheer ribbon, so the beads would stand out more. But it would be fun to do a solid colored ribbon with many colorful beads.

Happy crafting!

No comments: